So Real It Hurts

I think the common denominator of great fiction is reality.

As I create this current novel, chock full of supernatural goodness, I'm always striving for reality. I don't mean the appearance of reality. I'm not talking about suspension of disbelief.

I'm talking about making strangeness so real that the reader (and even the author) thinks it may actually have happened in some inexplicable dimension.

I want my work to have that bright, stark, commonness of every day life.

One way authors do that, I think, is to pay attention to days like today.

Snapping photos doesn't hurt:


today is softball picture day



sister seems to be hiding and preoccupied



brother is here to support



this team is still getting acquainted



she... and they will be just fine.


Thanks for reading, off to write!

Cheers,

Casey

Comments

  1. "...making strangeness appear real..."-- can't agree more. but sometimes- I hear stories say, in a bus- while traveling from workplace back home- that appear to be 'fiction'-- but are so real!

    no wonder, they say-- "truth is stranger than fiction"...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pictures of your family the best : )
    I know you will bring real to your book. You are so great at writing real!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

This is where you come in...

Popular posts from this blog

Her Cottage

Hotel

My Brother is a Spectacular Man